Gracey's 5th Birthday!

This is my wonderful bride Olivia, who loves our dog Gracey with a devotion I've hardly ever seen.
That's Gracey with her (of course).
     Currently, Olivia is in Massachusetts visiting our family there. She left (sad day) the day after our 3rd Anniversary (great day!). For better or for worse, her absence put me in charge of Gracey's 5th birthday celebration. Gracey's really important to us, and has walked with us through a lot. Olivia in particular has been able to lean on Gracey through some rough stuff. Understandably, I was nervous about the occassion. I'd written Gracey's birthday in my calendar and had an idea of what we would do together. Last year we got ice cream, so that was a given. But, what else could I do?
     The difficulty began shortly before Olivia left Texas. We were staying at our favorite Bed and Breakfast in Fort Worth and it occured to me to check Olivia's calendar to be sure I knew exactly when Gracey's birthday was. I had it in my mind that it was today (September 7th), but her calendar had it on the 6th. Whoops! But, wait, my calendar had it on the 7th, and I'd copied that from an old calendar of Olivia's. I was too embarrased to ask (sorry, sweet girl), so I devised a plan. I would celebrate Gracey's birthday on both days! (Yes, I know, in guy world this is brilliant.)
     It turned out to be a really good idea, too, because when I got home and checked Olivia's old blogs I found some postings for the 6th and some for the 7th. Actually, I'm still not sure which it should be!
      Day One began last night, Gracey and I went for a walk when I got home from work. We sat together on the bed and talked (I'm not kidding). And, we shared an ice cream sandwich. Actually, Gracey had half the ice cream from one and I had one of my own in addition to what she didn't eat. Gracey and I both love ice cream. Sadly, I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes, and I didn't call Olivia. But, Olivia knows I'm sometimes an idiot, and she called us just then. We sang Happy Birthday to Gracey on the speaker phone (if you know Olivia then you know that I don't loose any guy points for doing this).
     Day Two also began when I got home from work and the spoilling continued. Even if today isn't really her birthday, it was my best opportunity to focus on her. First, we drove across town to visit the Prairie Dog Park. Then, we walked (sniffed) our way around Pet Smart, where Gracey made some new friends, both human and animal. She also got a birthday present and two small bones from the clerk. After that we came home. I sang Happy Birthday again, just to be safe. Then, the coup de gras, we had a Happy Birthday Eggday together for dinner! (Gracey LOVES eggs!)
     As always, Gracey loves to please, and was very patient with me while I figured out Olivia's camera to take the Birthday Dinner photos. So, here they are.
Happy Birthday, Gracey!!!!!
Gracey says it was worth the wait.

Comments

Olivia said…
Hey, wow! She looks so happy! Thank you for making her birthday special, I wish I were there to celebrate!
Olivia said…
I had to look back to last year at this time and I was SO excited to remember how special you made Gracey's Birthday! I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!