Jars of Clay

Our Lord tells us through Scripture that we each hold our treasure in jars of clay.

Today, while Olivia catches up on some much needed rest and I pause before I start the day, I caught up on my blog reading. Here's how I do it. I start with my bride's blog, and see how she has been reflecting on what ourlife has brought to us. Then, I explore the blogs of people who have left comments on her posts, to see where they are relative to their comments and our life. Then, if I have time, I see who else is following them, and so on. (I have just begun following a few of the blogs I have discovered in this way.) On one such journey several months ago, I discovered a blog called Holy Experience. Today, it was this blog often leads me to the next step, reflection.

Now, I race to enter these thoughts before the day catches up with me and I must lay down my digital pen. So, here they are.

We contains treasure in our earthen vessels (2 Corinthians 4:7). At some point in my life, I gained insight from a now forgotten source into this idea. Our treasure is light (the gospel, the pressence of Jesus, etc.), yet it is held in a clay jar. Why? Why not glass, or crystal? Isn't the point for the light to be seen? Aw, but it is!

Our light is seen through the cracks. These are the wounds, the flaws, the thin spots, of our existence, and God, in His wisdom, has determined that it is in this way His glory will be known in the earth. Thus, while they see the vessel, it is the light shining forth through the broken places that brings Him glory. It is in our weaknesses that his strength is known.

How else would it be known? If it were in strength, we would see only the vessel. If our vessel were crystal rather than clay, what would the world marvel at, the Crystal or the Light it contained? Yet, we so easily show our fallen nature by our focus on the vessel, the temporary, the passing container which even while it holds the light blocks most of it. What is it about the awesome rawness of divinity that makes our focus cling to the shawdow that shields us from the source of light? Have we (in selfish fear) so little understood the privledge of entering in our great high priest has given us? Or, is this hesitancy (in better moments) our only real recognition of what holiness is? Perhaps it is both.

I think we need both. We need to see the light as holy and treat it with dignity, treading carefully when near (like ants) the fragile surfaces through which the light shines from our earthen vessels. Yet, we are also compelled by the light itself, to peer through the cracks (the wounds and flaws and weaknesses) of our fellows and our selves and see the beauty God provides through those ashen wounds. This calls for courage on the part of the vessel, courtesy on the part of his/her fellows, and faith that the light will indeed be seen.

The wounds of the believers are the windows to the splendor of God.

Comments

Unknown said…
Amen! The cracks are the parts we try to patch over, but they are the essentials. Otherwise we're saving ourselves.
Olivia said…
"The wounds of the believers are the windows to the splendor of God." This is AMAZING! I get chills reading it. It enocuraged me today. Thank you.
WHITEShadow said…
What a good gem for thought!
BK said…
Thank you for these great comments. It's nice to be encouraged in the things I see.
Yuri Richardson said…
I've read your post on Jars of Clay. It is very interesting. I'm familiar with the Scripture verse quoted 1Cor. 4:7 and I've heard it explained on occasion; but not quite like this before. Thanks for the ideas and for provoking me to look more closely into the meaning of this verse. I've heard what you've vividly expressed and I will reflect and peer more deeply (I hope) into its meaning within with your reference point of view in mind.

Shalom,

Yuri
Yuri Richardson said…
Shalom again.

I've read and thought on the verses which you have referenced (2Cor. 4:7) I read verses 1-11. What I gather from this portion of Scripture is that the way in which "...the excellency of the power.." (vs7)which is the light that first "....shined in our hearts...."(vs.6) is manifested through us (as believers in Messiah) as we submit to the "....trouble on every side, yet not distressed;"....as we are perplexed, (as my life is right now), but not in despair;" (vs. 8) and the it Talks about us bearing in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus,(of which I seek to do every day through practicing thinking about Him at every moment throughout the day) while I do what needs to be done at home, work, or play (with our children).

And why should I resolve to do such a thing? Because I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing more lovely, uplifting, beautiful, meaningful, and ennobling, to think about then the greatest demonstration of the Love of YHWH (God) then the dying of the Lord Yeshua. It is this, I see, as the means through which we are empowered to bear up under all that is talked about in verses 8&9; which produces the life (and thus the light of Yeshua (Jesus)[John 1:4] that shines through the earthen vessel (Jar).

I do not write to give the impression of having attained but I press on towards the mark of the high calling of God in Yeshua (Jesus).

Thanks, so much for your article on this most beautiful portion of Scripture. Just what I needed for my poor and tempted soul today.

Shalom In Messiah
BK said…
Thank you for the extensive thoughts, Yuri. I'm so encouraged to have been used by our Lord to bless you. Shalom.
Bryan
Yuri Richardson said…
Bryan,

first of all thanks for you for posting my comments. Secondly, for you and your wife sharing your thoughts on your blogs. Third of all for joining my blog; which I'm very thankful. Last but not least for your encouragement to me.

I was looking at your (About Me) information;as I was surfing peoples blogs and I must say that I was very impressed with what you had said about your wife. I called my wife to listen as I read it to her. The words YHWH (God) gave to you are so encouraging warm and full of meaning and love. I've never read an (About Me) profile that was so nice as yours. (no flattery intended).

Shalom In Messiah

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!