Gone

We saw her born. I cut her cord. We waited. We loved and thanked her birth-parents. We visited with them, ate with them, rejoiced with them. We took her from the hospital. We watched her all night. We hardly slept. We set up stations for changing and sleeping. We fed her. We changed her. We worried about germs. We held her. We prayed over her. We sang to her. We talked to her. We cleaned the stub of her umbilical cord. We memorized her changing little face: her nose, her ears, her blue eyes, her soft dark hair. She was perfect and we fell in love right away. She squeaked. She sighed. She looked at us. She snuggled. She held our fingers. She ate passionately, liked noise better than quiet, and learned to anticipate a camera's flash by the "1 - 2 - 3" that preceded it. Never had either of us been so happy.

Yesterday, we packed her things in the car. We started driving back home. I drove. Olivia sat in the back with her. We sang praises to Jesus. Every mile was joy. We stopped for lunch in Dallas and introduced her to Grampy and Marmy. We told our waitress about her. We got a phone call.

The world stopped.

We cried. We prayed. We shouted. We mourned. We pleaded. We screamed our agony in a parking lot. We died over and over. We die still. Olivia kissed her good-bye. I watched my step-mother drive away with Olivia and my dad and I drove her back. I prayed. I prayed for her. I prayed for Olivia. I prayed to keep her. I pleaded with God for her eventual salvation, that she would know Jesus no matter what happened. I wept. I moaned. I told her about Olivia and what a wonderful mother she was. I told her about Jesus. I told her about how loved she is. I poured out my soul in the back seat of our car. We had her for less than 24 hours.

I fed her. I changed her. I dressed her. I kissed her. I love her.

Then, she was... gone.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for praying in the back seat with Elora. An incredible gift to her and to your God, pouring out your very soul.

God gave up His son. Very few of us understand the depths of that agony but, absolutely beyond belief, you've had to experience it. How can this possibly make any "sense"?

a friend of maggie & rand e
jaymie said…
we have thought about you non stop since we heard this news. we are praying for you...sorry doesn't say enough. we are with you in prayer
kory, jaymie, and kanyon phillips
alpine c of c
Lynn said…
Bryan - Just as I expressed to Olivia, my thoughts and prayers are with you right now. I am so sorry! I do not know how I can offer anything of comfort right now, but please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you and Olivia. With much love and sorrow, Lynn McClellan
Thank you for sharing the joy, beauty and the most horrible pain. We mourn this loss with you. We too beg that she can come back to you. We cry that your hearts may find peace, joy and hope again. Healing to both of you. I'm sure the depths of pain are overwhelming and all we can give you are our tears added to yours. Please know that we love you both and are thinking of you constantly.
Candace J Banks said…
wow...my heart is absolutely breaking for the two of you...words can't express the sadness that i feel for you and olivia...so that i don't say anything that would seem trivial, i want to tell you that i love yall...may the peace of our lord & savior be with the two of you...
the banks bunch
Candace J Banks said…
bryan & olivia,
i wanted to share with you that i have put a petition out to my family & friends on your behalf...and people all over the united states and possibly all over the world are praying for yall...i hope that this is ok--i shared your story as an act of love...
may the peace of our lord & savior be with you....
candace
Anonymous said…
I weep with you during this terrible time of struggle and agony. I pray for peace for you and Olivia.
BeckyJoie said…
So sorry to hear of your loss. There is no pain like this. I know it too, though my adoptive daughter was older. I can't describe the pain of the journey to take her back and I know you feel that too. For some reason, God has chosen once again to take loved ones from our arms. But one thing is that no matter what, they will always be in our hearts, our dreams and our prayers. I will pray for the two of you. The loss is undescribable. Bless you for trying to share it with us.
Anonymous said…
We love and pray for you, Brayn. Constantly.
Rand E. and Maggie
Anonymous said…
Dear Bryan and Olivia, I couldn't get myself together today, I stayed in my pjs and then realized it was time to go to bed again. I am so sad, so both of you must be dying. I am so sorry, it seems that this is all I can say. I am just so sorry. We love you both very much and we are here for you. "I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalms 27
Tighe and Greg
Allison Connor said…
Bryan, I don't know you, but was in school with Olivia at ACU. My heart breaks for both of you. I will be praying for your precious family! Blessings to you!
Lori said…
I don't know you, but I know Olivia through ACU and communicate through her blog often, but I am not sure if she will be checking it anytime soon. I have been keeping up with every step of the adoption, since we too hope to adopt someday. I am horrified at what you guys have gone through. I can't even begin to imagine your pain!!! It makes me so angry and the system that this can even happen!!! I can't stop crying just reading about the situation, which makes me worry so much about sweet Olivia. I will pray for you guys so hard. I know there is not much I can do for you guys and I know you have many friends, but I do live in Abilene and am willing to do anything if something should arrise.
Anonymous said…
Still thinking of you...and praying.
Love,
Rand E. and Maggie
Karen said…
Bryan and Olivia,
I have been off line for a long while. I haven't stopped crying since I read your posts. Only G-d knows the beginning from the end... Daniel and I will be praying for you all until... well for a long long time.
May the Shalom of the L-rd be with you both
BK said…
Thank you all for your prayers and for suffering with us in this time. We cannot express to you the comfort your ministrations have given us. God bless.
Karen said…
Bryan and Olivia,
Ever since I first came to your blog, G-d gave me such a heart for you both. In my heart you feel just like my own children. G-d has captured and holds dear to Himself every tear you have cried! I know the G-d that we serve hold you all under the shadow of His wings! He will never, never, never let you go! Be blessed I pray every day for you both!

L'Shalom
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry for you and Olivia. It isn't fair. I know Olivia has had so many trials and must feels like she is cursed. Thank you for being her husband and caring for her. God will bless you with a child.

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

100 Days of Micah!