Studying Hebrew

Image result for hebrew text bhs

I've been working on this PhD in Old Testament from Gateway Seminary for years now. I've poured hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and over 6 years into answering this divine call. Through it all, Olivia has patiently supported and encouraged me. Go her!!! 

One of the biggest challenges I've faced has been learning the Hebrew language. I had a good 12 years between my Master's work and these PhD studies, and I wasn't very good a Hebrew the first time around. So, as someone who has really struggled and passionately desired to get this language, I wanted to let you know what I've found that actually works. Of course, classroom experience is usually best, but that isn't a valid option for most people. [Warning, effectively learning biblical Hebrew is an investment that takes time and practice, especially if your goal is to be able to pick up your Hebrew Bible and actually read it.] So, here are my recommendations for study on your own:

Step One:



In my opinion, Basics of Biblical Hebrew is the best of the four introductory grammars I've tried. Get the Grammar, Videos, and Workbook. Use all of them together as instructed in the first video and take lots of notes. If you're really inspired to learn, I've also spent countless hours in the companion Flashcards and Vocabulary CD. These materials will give you everything you would have at the end of a full year of study. The final chapter provides a great introduction to actually reading the Hebrew Bible (see Step 5 below).

Step Two:
Daily Dose of Hebrew
Daily Dose of Hebrew has been invaluable for keeping me moving. These daily emails have been a great help in being exposed to the biblical passages. There are also some special series that deal with particular issues, like accents. Start this as soon as your finish Basics (or earlier if you like) and never stop. These excellent professors will regularly introduce you to new material, even as you begin to recognize familiar words and ideas. The best part is that you can binge watch when you have the motivation or simply erase the emails that piled up on you while you were working on other things and start wherever they happen to be.

Step Three



For some, Brian Rocine's Learning Biblical Hebrew will be your favorite. It is meant to be used alone, but I think it has been great for me to already have the Basics material somewhat under my hat before getting into this more organic approach to the language. This text approaches the Hebrew in different terms and with some different understandings than Basics, but I believe you should be able to understand both methods. It is a grammar and workbook in one, which at some point will require you to have access to the Hebrew biblical text and perhaps a lexicon (see Steps 4 and 5 below).

Step Four:

Cover The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (2 vol. set)


Get a Lexicon! There are several that I would recommend depending upon your ability to identify the roots of the words you are looking for and how much up to date detail you want to have. [That idea will make sense early in your studies.] If roots are difficult for you, I would recommend an Analytical Lexicon, which identifies words as they appear in the Hebrew Bible rather than by root. There are several good Lexicons you can buy, but many are available online or through a program like Logos

Step Five:



Read the Hebrew Bible! There is no substitute in learning biblical Hebrew for actually READING THE BIBLICAL HEBREW! Of course, if you're a little intimidated by the unaugmented Hebrew Bible, there are at least two great alternatives. The Hebrew Reader's Bible (also available with the NT) has the rare, hard to remember words footnoted for you while the Interlinear Bible has every word represented in both Hebrew and English with a translation provided in a side column. 

Of course, these are just the resources that work best for me. I could also recommend other tools like The Vocabulary Guide to Biblical Hebrew (multiple vocabulary arrangements) and Williams' Hebrew Syntax (for more advanced questions), but where they fit in the above steps will depend on our personal approach and learning style. Additionally, scholars are always working on new resources. Feel free to research on your own and add whatever is helpful to you. The point is to keep trying! Keep moving, don't be afraid to start over, and never stop. Eventually, you will find the right set of resources for you and before you know it you'll be reading the 'Bible' of Jesus for yourself.

BTW, I have a major Hebrew Comprehensive Exam in less than two weeks. If I don't pass this exam, I don't get a PhD. So... no pressure right? However, with these resources under my belt, I feel confident that God has given me what I need to pass. More importantly, I'm one step closer to being able to read the Hebrew Bible devotionally, which is my personal goal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!