Micah Update and Other Thoughts

Micah Update:


Micah is doing really great right now. We can hold her anytime we want to now (as long as she tolerates it). She can breastfeed once per day, and to say that she is doing very well with that is a real understatement. She switched to vapotherm last Tuesday and has done very well on it. Her eye doctor's latest evaluation was "It looks like there was never anything wrong" with her eyes. She has had two tub baths (loved them!). And, she now weighs an amazing 4 pounds, 14 ounces! Overall, Micah is doing amazingly well, and we may even begin working toward home as early as her due date (September 13th). We feel incredibly blessed, and look forward to achieving Micah's remaining goals before we get her all to ourselves for a little while.

We do plan on having a celebration for Micah, but not until her first birthday. The doctors have encouraged us to avoid groups (especially at the holidays), to keep her visitors very limited, and have as much "us" time as possible for several months to help her transition to life in the larger world. Our Ahava will still be a preemie, even when we get back to Abilene, and her immune system (and others) will still be behind. I have been getting our house prepared a little at a time, which has involved some pretty big projects (like last week's major water pipe leak coming into the house!). There is still a lot to move, organize, get rid of, and clean. Jesus, simplicity and cleanliness will be the order of the day for our new home life.


Other Thoughts:

Some of you may have wondered what I used to write about before Micah was born. Perhaps you have even browsed through some of my old blogs. Out of respect for your time and prayer focus, I have tried to stay as close to the topic of Micah as possible this summer. Obviously, this has been made easier by the reality that she (and life with her in it) is the only thing I am thinking about most of the time. But, today I got bumped back into the world, and was reminded of just how desperate our situation is out there.


Here are some of my recent thoughts: (In the past, each of these might have been a blog in its own right, but for now, we'll just summarize.)

Faith: God is not mocked. A fish with "Jesus" in it doesn't make you a Christian. A fish with "*atan" in it doesn't make you funny. (Actually saw this today!) If we really believe in the Godhead described by Christianity, then we must remember that God once destroyed the whole world because it rejected Him. Not just the God of the Old Testament, but the God who takes sin so seriously that He dies in our place because that is the only solution to the problem. God also destroyed whole cultures and nations because of their sinful lifestyles (any Canaanites or Ammonites in the audience today?). He even destroyed the nation of Israel, His own chosen people! Why do we think we can "play church" while refusing to make the hard choices of separating ourselves from worldly culture without being rebuked?

Morality: I saw a toddler today whose mother has had children by three children that I can tell of. It made me feel really bad for that poor little boy. His sibling is in the hospital so we've seen her often, but I haven't seen a father for any of them. When did that become the new normal? When did broken homes and children born out of wedlock become acceptable? When did we decide it was ok to define family with no reference to God's design? Do we really think God's grace means we can live however we want, do whatever we want, and make whatever choices we want? When did we forget that God's standards are for our own best?
Politics: Romney is not a conservative. I will not vote for him. I like Virgil Goode (Constitution Party) best for president. The nice thing about our system is that I can write Goode in and still vote for Paul Ryan for VP if I decide to. Of course (if you know me, or even if you just know I'm a thinking Christian and a conservative), I would never vote for Obama, but I won't vote for someone I don't believe just to vote against someone else. I also like Ted Cruz, and will leave blanks in other positions where I don't like either candidate.

School: I have been accepted into the PhD program, but will defer my enrollment for a semester. I will study French this Fall and do the course work for my reading seminar class, which I will add to my course load next Spring. The courses I took last year will also transfer into the degree. I'm really excited about following the Lord in teaching ministry.

Work: My employment at Hendrick is still in place, but my position had to be filled by someone else while I am gone. This means that I will have 30 days after I return to Abilene to plug into an opening. I have no idea what I will be doing, but I am glad to have at least that much assurance as I desire to provide for my family.

Provision: Speaking of providing for my family, God has been so faithful to us. In fact, He seems to have provided just what we need for our season here. I am sure He will provide for the transition back to "regular" life as well. God is faithful, and we believe He called us to walk these months here together. We are so thankful for all those who heard and obeyed His urging to help us through this time.
Ministry: I launched my Spirit Deep Ministries website. I don't know what the Lord has in store for this new season of ministry, but I am excited to find out. At least we're giving it a shot, right? I will presumably resume preaching at City Light in a few months.

Olivia: My wife is amazing! I have seen such strength in her over these last months. God has continued to strengthen her for each day's adventure. She continues to answer His call to love in greater and greater ways. She is a great evidence to me of God's wisdom in creating marriage. I am honored to be her husband.

More Micah: My daughter is absolutely amazing. She makes all of these issues matter in new ways, because the world I help create is now "her" world. It isn't just the world I leave behind; It's Micah's world, and however I can impact it for the better, I will try to do so (even through my little blog).

I tried to post a picture of her, but the internet is acting strange here. It's too bad, because we've got some really good new ones now that her support is changed and you can see her face again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!