Drive-time Thinking

(First, we have not decided on a winner for the caption contest yet.
See the last post for current suggestions)

God is faithful. We have been trusting in Him and He has continued to watch out for us. This week is no exception. Micah is now 2 lbs., 3.6 ounces! They have told us to be ready for some big gains after the first pound, and so far they are right. She gained 2.1 ounces last night alone, and is now almost twice her birth weight.

We haven't been able to Kangaroo again because of some extra precautions in Micah's room, and she seems to have missed it (acting a little fussier today). But, Micah herself has been cleared of any concern. We continue to believe that the Lord is able (and willing) for her to remain a beautiful, healthy girl. I don't have a photo ready right now, but she just keeps getting more beautiful. Olivia and I sometimes just stare at her in amazement.

Yet, while our world here keeps rolling along at a steady pace, the world at large is flying by. I drove back to Abilene this week for a day, and was amazed at the stuff I heard on the radio. None of it was surprising, and most of it was bad (as usual), but it sure made me think about the type of world Micah is going to grow up in. It's really scary how those with power abuse it, and those who are supposed to hold them accountable don't.

I was reminded of a sermon I heard once by Andy Stanley (Pastor of Atlanta's North Point Community Church). It was on the ten commandments, and focusses on our relationships with other people: how we are to treat each other and how we are all accountable to God on the same level. The basic idea is that God makes the rules (not man) and we are all responsible to Him. These are the sort of lessons we want to teach Micah, but the world is going to try to teach her something different: namely, that those who are in (earthly) authority make the rules, but don't have to follow them.

So, along this line of thought, even while she is in the NICU, I have been praying for Micah's future. I am praying for her to know Jesus. I am praying for her to love Him before anyone else (even her parents or herself). I am praying for her to treat others as equally valuable before the Lord. I am praying for her to be a model of obedience to God and kindness to humanity.

Of course, Micah's biggest role models (Olivia and myself foremost) are far from perfect and this seems to put a lot of pressure on us. But, I figure if God can see Micah through what he has already seen her through and make her such a wonderful, personality-filled little image of Himself, the He is up to the challenge. He is, as I said, faithful, and I believe this is His desire for her as well.

Speaking of other influences on her life, Micah has been able to have a few visitors on occasion. The thign we used to hear most often was how much smaller she looked than her pictures. Now, we are begining to hear how much she has grown. Of course, they also say she looks even more beautiful in person than in the photos. I happen to agree.

Olivia and I are doing pretty well. We are facing the challeges together and trusting in the Lord. This is hard work sometimes, but we are also experiencing the joy of the Lord in new ways as we watch our family continue to form.

Thank you for your continued prayers and messages of support. God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!