Let's take a Ramble...

If you are like me...
Sometimes you just start writing, without having a clear idea where you are going to go with it.
And then you stop...

Sometimes you press delete. At other times you just let it flow and hope for the best.

We each have an urge to contribute, to share, to make a difference, and to be significant in some one's life. We want to make the world a brighter, better place than it was when we found it.
Why?

Why do we want to change things for the better?
What are we wanting to prove?
Who are we wanting to impress?

I guess I don't know, but I think it bears some thinking on. I'm pretty sure it's related to being created in the image of God. We are made to make. We are crafted to be crafters. God is a Creator. We are made in His image. We want to make. We need to be makers. There is a MUST within us. We must reflect God.

But, what if we don't believe in God; or we believe God is a harsh, vindictive galaxy-eating monster? I can't imagine either of these things, the first in particular, but perhaps you can. What if we don't believe in a good God? What would we reflect?

Would we become selfish?
Would we try to write our own story?
Would we impose our wills upon others?
Would we steal or destroy with wanton disregard for other?
Would we live in fear, in anger, and in self-abuse?
Would we lose hope?
Would we think nothing mattered?
Would we ignore the poor because they don't matter?

OR

Would we try to prove we deserve a better world?
Would we try to convince ourselves we are significant?
Would we become desperately generous?
Would we try to convince everyone to agree with us so we can feel like we KNOW something we really only hope?
Would we live like this life is all that mattered?
Would we refuse to acknowledge a thing called Sin?
Would we try to make ourselves laugh, so we don't have to deal with hurt in the world?

I don't know. I don't live in that world.
I live in the real world.

In the real world God is good, but holy.
In the real world, life is precious, but it not the only important thing.
In the real world, generosity is important, but so is restraint.
In the real world we have real problems, and a God who has real answers.
In the real world hope and fear live side by side.
In the real world, our we often feel significant because of what we do, but we are really significant because of what we are (people)?

I don't want to convince people that I matter. I don't want to prove anything. I want to matter because God made me.
I don't want to become selfish. I don't want to write my own story. I want to be more like God.
I want to make the world better.
I want to make a difference.
I want to reflect God in the real world.

Why?

Because I am thankful. I am thankful to God.

(Here's where I normally press DELETE, but this time I'll hit PUBLISH instead. Perhaps these words will make a difference in some one's life: God is 'Why?' and God makes you matter.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!