The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry

.
I like stories. I like to tell stories, read stories, watch stories, and hear stories. In this regard, I'm like most people, I suppose. Story is one of the first and deepest ways we identify ourselves. If you want to know about motivation, character, or personality, what you're really looking for is not just information: i.e. Greed, Good, and Friendly. What you're really looking for is context, the ability to evaluate someone or something in light of the people and things they are associated with. You want more information. You want to know the whole story.

Our self-understanding and basis for comparative relationship begin the same way. Even the Bible began in this way, as a collection of stories about God's interactions with humanity. Story is at the core of what it means to be human. Today, most of our stories come to us through media (books, TV, and movies) rather than around a campfire or sitting with our elders hearing about the good (or bad) old days. I have no use for TV, so my stories most often come through books and movies. [I did hear a few from my dad when he came to visit last week, but I'm speaking in bulk.]

It occurred to me this morning that although I like movies and books, I don't ever post about them. So, I thought I'd try something new. I don't know how far I'll get on it, but I want to recommend a few movies and books to you as a reward for your taking the time to check my blog once in a while. Of course, you can always check My Library on the left as well.


The first movie I recommend is The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry. We watched it the other day, and enjoyed it a lot. It's the story of a man in 1970 who invests some time and energy into the young boys of his neighborhood with some impressive results. It's also a coming of age movie, and might remind you of some key moments in your own story. I won't spoil it by telling you which ones. You can find a review of the movie at Christian-movie.com. If you're in Abilene, we checked this film out from the library. So, you can give it a try for nothing more than the cost of gas to go pick it up. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!