What I learned

In college, I was blessed to be a leader in ministry, though I wasn’t always a good one. I participated in mission trips, led a fellowship ministry, and was chosen to lead a drama ministry. I was passionate about it, but I had a lot to learn. I learned that motivating volunteers is very different than instructing employees. I learned to humble myself before those I was tryng to lead instead of being heavy-handed. I learned to plan, organize, and execute worship services. And, I learned to always keep learning.


In seminary, I learned how to prepare a sermon, exegete a passage of Scripture, and wrestle with theologically difficult ideas. I learned how to reach out to culture and recognizethe changing world of faith as the chruch loses its place at the center of the town square. I also learned how to stand for truth, love the Scriptures, and find common ground for worshiping the living God.

In church ministry, I learned how to function as part of a team. I learned from experience how to help a family grieve, develop effective teams, run a soundboard, meet objectives, build a ministry from scratch, and even lead worship on a weekly basis. I also learned to leave pretension at the door and be a real person as well as a theologian.

In missions, I learned how to travel well, lead a ministry excursion, and teach in a foreign language. I learned to cross cultures with the truth of the Gospel and (by God’s grace) see people won to Christ more by my availability than my ability. In missions, I learned about isolation, the importance of communication from home, the value of prayer, and the power of hospitality. I also learned to live without electricity, preach weekly, teach in a Bible School, eat whatever was set before me, play soccer with a flat ball, recognize the demonic, sort through donations, build a mud church building, endure sickness, and see the world differently.

In business, I’ve learned to discern which battles to fight, to lead in the workplace, and to exceed expectations. I’ve also learned to interview, hire, train, discipline, and fire employees. I’ve learned to organize, prioritize, encourage the best in others, and delegate tasks and assignments. I’ve also learned about the importance of character. In business, God has shown me how the majority of Jesus’ followers work and live. He has also shown me how to take a stand for the Lord against compromise and sin in the workplace.

In marriage, I have learned more about my role as a minister than in any other area. I have learned what it feels like to be called a priest, what it means to be a covering, and how difficult it is to live out the love we so desperately want to live out in our lives. I’ve learned about providence, priority, and patience. I’ve learned how real life can be in all its pain and glory, and how good God is to give it to us that way. I’ve learned how to mourn. I’ve learned how to help another person grieve. I’ve learned how to celebrate victories. I’ve learned how not to take failures and offenses so personally. I’ve learned a lot about prayer. And, I’ve learned how to love someone else more deeply than I love myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!