Influences

There are several people who have influenced my theology and my philosophy of ministry. Dr. James Shields, my preaching professor at Hardin-Simmons, challenged me to test my calling to the ministry, to always give my best, and to communicate truth to God’s people with integrity, clarity, and God-fearing authority. Dr. H.K. Neely, my first Dean, taught me to see the Christian story as a whole, rather than just my own narrow experience of God’s work across the centuries. Another professor, Dr. Larry McGraw, introduced me to the rationality of the Old Testament and taught me the difference between a biblical translation and a paraphrase.


Others have also influenced me over the years. C.S. Lewis’ depiction of Jesus as Aslan was a foundational image in my understanding of the power and grace of the Son of God. He later inspired my even more while I was doing my Thesis on the Christology in The Chronicles of Narnia and reading the bulk of his writings. Likewise, J.R.R. Tolkien’s creation story in The Silmarilian captured my understanding of the beauty and majesty of God’s creative act. An old author named E.M. Snaith helped me understand the theological influence of the Old Testament language on the New Testament writers. Another author, Marv Rosenthal, helped me wrestle out the differences between the differing Christian understandings of the End Times at a moment when I had been strugling with those same views.

More recently, Don Finto, who I now count as a friend, has been a major influence in my life, helping me understand the relationship between the church and the nation of Israel, particularly those in Israel who have accepted Jesus as their Messiah. Another recent blessing to my life has been Eitan Shiskoff, who pastors a congregation in Haifa, Israel, and loves my wife and I dearly. My wife Olivia, herself, has been a major influence of my understanding of God’s power, of faith, and of belief in his promises. Other influences in my life include people like R.T. Kendall, John Eldredge, Elisabeth Elliot, Frank Peretti, Jimmy Evans, Joel Rosenberg, Chuck Missler, and Dr. Kent Hovind.

Each of these people has brought light into my understanding of God, his love, and his desire to reconcil the world to himself. Yet, all of them pale to the impact God has had on my life himself through his Scriptures. Through the biblical text, God himself is my greatest teacher. In it, and through the faithful reading, preaching, and teaching of it, God has impacted my reality time and time again. The Bible itself keeps drawing me deeper into God. I love spending time in it and discovering new insights into who God is through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!