Don't Play! Don't Offer! Don't Gamble!




The Bible does not mention the lottery. There are no references to it at all, because it did not exist when the Scriptures were written. In fact, the only possible references to ‘gambling’ in the Bible regard the casting of lots for the cloak of Jesus at Calvary. Truthfully, I believe even this event was more about decision making than gambling and says nothing about whether what they did was right or wrong. Therefore, we who oppose the lottery need to choose carefully how we include the Bible in our conversation about it. I will attempt to do so with several general and one particular biblical realities.




A case could be made for opposing the lottery on several bases. God instructs us to work for our money (2 Thessalonians 3:10) and that a man who wants to get rich quick is not faithful but evil (Proverb 28:20,22). He says looking to Fortune and Destiny for our security is the same as ‘forsaking the Lord’ (Isaiah 65:11-12). And, God says hasty wealth does not last. (Proverb 13:11) It is gained without discipline and offers false hope because it cannot last with that lack of discipline. God’s Word also alerts us that some behaviors promote the sins of covetousness and greed for gain (Hebrews 13:5), which cause household unrest (Proverb 15:27), and that poor stewardship robs us of true riches (Matthew 6:19-20 & Luke 16:10-12). If I truly believe all I possess is the Lord’s, I must ask whether or not God wants me to use His money to buy lottery tickets. Additionally, 1 Timothy 6:7-19 provides a sharp contrast between the pursuit of godly things and the kind passion for wealth that I believe the lottery represents.



These are all points to be considered when asking why followers of Jesus should not participate in the lottery. It does not support God’s principle of working for our money. It does not provide lasting security or contentment, show dependence upon the Lord, or promote godly stewardship and good finances. Rather, the lottery promotes laziness and poor stewardship, causes unrest in the home, stirs up an unfaithful heart, forsakes the Lord, and robs us of true riches. Gambling does nothing to build character, help others, or display God’s glory. Nothing in it spreads love, grace, or truth.



As Christians, it is easy enough to find a biblical basis for not actually gambling or playing the lottery ourselves. Yet, we’ve been arguing about it for centuries with proponents on both sides of the issue. In the 2nd century, Tertullian said, “If you say you are a Christian when you are a dice-player, you say you are what you are not, for you are a partner with the world.” Down through church history, the contentious debate has continued. However, those who have taken the more permissive view have always had to do so with ungovernable restrictions. Thomas Aquinas (13th century) is said to have permitted gambling “provided that it was not motivated by covetousness, characterized by unfairness, or used to exploit the young and psychologically immature.” How exactly does one moderate motive, ensure fairness, or exclude those who might be deemed exploitable?



Therefore, in keeping with the spirit of 1 Corinthians 8:9, it is better for Christians not to gamble rather than become a stumbling block to others by our example. But, why shouldn’t retailers simply offer a means for gambling in our stores, especially if some might make a case for allowing ‘moderate’ gambling? If people are going to play, why not keep them in our stores to do it, rather than send them somewhere else? This answer also is clear from both observation and the Scriptures. This is the particular biblical point I mentioned earlier: The lottery is exploitative.



Proverb 22:22-23 says, “Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will plunder those who plunder them.” (NIV) The NASB says, “Do not rob the poor because he is poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate; for the LORD will plead their case and take the life of those who rob them.” Clearly, if we have so little compassion with those less fortunate than we are as to make a profit from their losses, we are in violation of this command and in danger of finding ourselves in opposition to the Scriptures. Is this really something we want to make excuses about? Do we want to make our money at the detriment of those who can least afford it and those we are to be examples to? Or, as followers of Jesus, are we going to take the better, less questionable, higher ground?



The lottery is used as a source of revenue for government because it makes money. It takes more than it gives. If such gambling did not bring in more revenue for government than it cost, then there would be no lottery. If it did not make money for our stores by this same process, we would not be offering this ‘service’ either. For every ‘winner’ there are hundreds of losers, and even these winners are no better off for their winnings. Is it love for our neighbors (Matthew 22:39) to tempt them to addiction, greed, and covetousness? Are we really going to make technical excuses about the definition of ‘sin’ for the repercussions of the choices we are condoning by having these machines in our stores?



All gambling offers false hope. It promotes addictive behavior, cannot be moderated, and preys on those who do not have the money to waste. Granted, there are those few wealthier people who play the games, but the bulk of those who slide their 1’s, 5’s, 10’s, and even 20’s into these machines would be better served to put their financial resources in the bank, pay off a bill, or even buy food for their families. And, even this sort of service to the rich is evil when it exploits the poor and those who do it come to ruin (Proverb 22:16). As providers of the opportunity to purchase lottery tickets in our stores, retailers are exploiting the poor. A days worth of personal observation at one of our machines is all it takes to remove any doubt on the matter. The question is, does it bother us enough to stop doing it?



As I am sure you can tell, it bothers me. In fact, I believe any retailer who offers these services is making a mistake. However, my belief is not simply theological or theoretical. My belief is based on personal observation. I am one of the Customer Sevrvice Managers at a grocery store, which means that while I have storewide responsibilities I spend a lot of time on the front end. I see the people who play the lottery. I see the hope on the struggling mom’s face when she juggles her 3 kids to buy a scratch-off. I see the retired man who has been playing the same lottery numbers for 6 years without a win. I see the semi-retired team member whom I know already has a gambling addiction. I see another team member who lives in a group home because he does not have the mental capacity to manage money or live on his own. I see the strung-out businessperson who keeps placing his hope on the next $5 card. They have faces and names to me. And, I hate being part of something I believe is so negative and dangerous for them.



I'm trying to make a difference in our company, and it may be that the Lord moves here. If not, I'm not sure how long I'll be here, despite my general love for the organization. I can't... I won't remain in a morally compromised position forever. So, the next time you see a lottery sign or machine, remember that it offers only sin and exploitation. And, pray for our culture, which depends so heavily on evil things, rather than on the One True God. Pray also for us, as we search for God's will, and pray for Him to move.

Comments

Olivia said…
Have I told you how much I love you lately? You amaze me my husband...completely amaze me. You are not perfect, but I know you love me more than anything and you would do anything to show this to me. So many people say this to each other, but wow...it is true. You are unwavering. You work SO hard and do so many things and still you wait on the Lord to fulfill His promise to you so we may serve Him more and more. You buy me yummy chocolate cake, give great foot rubs, and love Gracey SO sweetly I could melt. Thank you for not giving up. Thank you for keeping on even though you just want to curl up in bed and sleep for days...a well deserved reward. I believe in you and I love you more than anything on this earth...well maybe equally with Gracey!

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!