Love is a choice

"10 And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
"


I've always struggled against the idea that God hardens people's hearts. In fact, I have a hard time dealing honestly with it. Part of me has always been afraid to admit that if God hardens people, or at least does not give them the grace to truly believe, then perhaps I am one of those people and don't really know it. What if I think I'm saved, but I'm really a vessel of destruction?!? How horrifying to know you are doomed with no anticipation of ever having the ability to choose the salvation God offers in Jesus!

Yet, this is precisely what I am suppossed to see. I am intended to recognize my doom (for we are all born as children of wrath), so that I will be able to comprehend the greatness of God's grace toward me in being saved through Jesus Christ. I need to see how horrible it is to be appointed to destruction. I need to see what I've been saved from.

Still, I'm not a Calvinist, or a reformed theologian, or whatever they call themselves. I don't think Christ's attonement is limited in its availability. (2 Peter 3:9) I don't think it negates God's glory if some refuse the gift of salvation. (2 Tim. 2:13) I don't think God's grace is irresistable. (Josh. 24:15) I am not a TULIP Christian. (& NO, I will not debate it with you!)

So, what do I see in this passage that gives me hope (understanding, of course that no passage stands alone, but always in the whole body fo Scripture as well)?

God said of Esau: The older will serve the younger. He said this so that His purpose of election might continue. Before they were born, God had chose to use Jacob to bring the Messiah into the world and fulfill his promise of salvation. (Gen. 3:15; Isa. 25:9) Both Esau and Jacob were hard men, but Esau despised his birthright, rejecting God's blessings for his own fleshly desires. (Gen. 25:34) Therefore, Esau rejected God and fell under His wrath. If nothing is said about God hardening Esau's heart, but rather about Esau rejecting God, then why do we say that God's grace was unavailable to him? He was rejected as the anscestor of Jesus, but was he beyond hope? No! For, Esau too received a blessing. (Gen. 27:38-40) And, it was not in Jacob's heart to war with his brother, and Esau's heart was change from hatred for His brother to reconciliation. (Gen. 33:4; 35:29)

Then, in vese 14, God says, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” This passage says nothing about God's predestination for evil, but only for God. The power of God is not that He sends peopel to Hell, or even (more accurately) that He allows people to go to Hell (for this is our default destination). The miracle of God is that any of us are saved! (Ps. 143:2)

I'm not saying that God doesn't harden hearts sometimes. We know that He does (i.e. Pharaoh). But, what I'm suggesting is that we cannot presume to say that every person who goes to Hel was sent there by God's election. God is willing to reject a few (at least for a moment), because He is also willing that none should perish, but all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9) Even Pharaoh had a choice to make in the end, but was hardened so God's glory would be known in all of Egypt. (Ex. 11:9)

So, what if God appoints vessels of destruction (Pharaoh, Judas, the Anti-Christ) in order "to show his wrath and to make known his power" (v. 22) "in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy" (v. 23)? Are we supposed to complain against Him about this? NO. But, I don't believe we should assume that everyone who does not believe is one of these vessels of wrath. God's grace and glory are amazing enough to withstand our rejection without being tarnished. Otherwise, we truly have no choice, and if love must be anything, it must be chosen. Love is an adventure. Love is romantic. Love is not forced or even bought. (S of S 8:7)Love is a choice. God's election is to be able to make that choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!