"I want you!"


James Montgomery Flagg’s patriotic poster “I Want You for the U.S. Army” was created in 1917 to support the American effort in World War I. It brings to mind ideas of joining something larger than oneself, contributing to the common good, fighting for the just cause, and surrendering oneself to another for the betterment of all.

Conceived at a time of uncertainty about America's role in the European war, "I Want You" offered icy, heroic resolve as an antidote to ambivalence and as an argument against pacifism. The poster attested to the marketing and propaganda power of the government and paved the way for the success of conscription under the Selective Service Act of 1917. It also helped create a climate that forestalled the type of draft riots that had accompanied the Civil War. (New York Times)

This image stirred a nation to action. It brought unity and purpose to our country as nothing else had. The result was selfless giving, strong corporate identity, and engagement in the battle against evil. It pointed to the truth: we are at war with villainous powers, and you have a responsibility and a role to play for this great cause! It motivated generations of Americans to unify for the just cause. But, this servant mentality eventually fell out of favor and the post-Vietnam era campaign begun in 1981 provides a sharp contrast and an entirely different motivation.

The post-Vietnam ad campaigns included many marketing techniques that are still in use today: event sponsorships, outdoor billboards, direct mail and radio, television and print ads. [the N. W. Ayer ad agency] coined the "Be All That You Can Be" slogan in 1981 and helped make the volunteer force more desirable by deploying aspirational pitches that emphasized educational enrichment and job training. (New York Times)

This second approach appeals to our selfishness. If I join this group I will be become better at life. I can use this for my own advancement. It will help me discover who I am. Service becomes a means to an end rather than a worthy purpose in itself. It brings to mind ideas of what we can get out of it. How can this serve me? Not only that, but it gives a false certainty of ease and providence rather than the reality of being at war.

I understand the Army's desire to campaign. Recruiting is something I do as well. In fact, I do it every time I share the Gospel. The question that occurred to me as Olivia and I drove home from two days at the lake with our family from California was, which recruiting strategy are we using? Which version of the truth are we presenting? What is our Gospel? Is it "I want you..." or "Be all you can be"? The difference couldn't be more critical!

Just like these two Army campaigns, there are two gospel messages being presented to the world. One of them tries to reach people where they are strongest and most confident. It is the gospel of self-improvement. It is the gospel that says, "It's all about you," even if it declares "It's not all about you." This gospel doesn't want to offend people, doesn't want to deal with hell, and often eventually denies the necessity of the cross. It is the "Emergent" gospel, willing to compromise the theological truths of God to reach more people. It is the "Liberal Catholic" gospel, which welcomes ideas like reincarnation. It is the "Metropolitan" gospel, which welcomes and affirms the practice of homosexuality. It is the "New Age" gospel, which incorporates mysticism in its teachings. It is the "Universalism" gospel, which denies the idea that Jesus is the only way to the Father as He himself taught us. Whatever this "gospel" is, it is not the Gospel if Jesus.

The Gospel of Jesus declares, "Repent!" (Matthew 4:17) The Gospel of Jesus says, "Come to Me." (Matthew 11:28) The Gospel of Jesus says, "Go, and sin no more." (John 8:11) The Gospel of Jesus says, "The Kingdom of God is at hand!" (Mark 1:15) It's a gospel of challenge. It's a gospel of change. It's a gospel of conforming ourselves to God, rather than trying to conform God to ourselves. It's a gospel that demands we give over everything we have to one who is greater than us, to a cause that is bigger than us, and to a world that will neither understand nor accept us. The Gospel of Jesus says, "I want you!"

"I want you to take up your cross daily!"
" I want you to follow me!"
"I want you to lay down your life!"
"I want you to serve the weak and helpless!"
"I want you to be my ambassadors!"
"I want you to be salt and light in the earth!"
...
"I want you to give up all you have, to leave it all behind, to surrender everything you are to me, not so you can become 'self-actualized', not so you can 'be all you can be', not so you can be happy in your life... I want you to give it all up so that I might be glorified, so that MY NAME will be praised, so that people will know that whether they like it or not, whether it offends them or not, whether they believe it or not JESUS IS LORD and there is no other."

So... what does your gospel say?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Bryan, I've been reading your blog for about a week now.

This is an incredible post. You made a really great point. That old poster really stirred people to action. But is it actually possible to stir anyone to anything these days without the prospect of some personal gain?

I'm not sure.
BK said…
I sure hope so. I believe if we really caught hold of what God did in Jesus, if we moved beyond the quaint versions of the story and really engaged the realities it shows us, we'd be blown away. God is amazing and what he did was incredible! Those who really get that will find their motivation. Thanks for writing.

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!