Hallmark to offer same-sex wedding cards


This 2nd level, front page headline for an article by Sarah Skidmore of the Associated Press caught my eye, not just because it meant I wouldn't be buying Hallmark greeting cards anymore, but because of it's implications. It's going to be hard enough teaching our children that Halloween is wrong, that Easter isn't about bunnies and eggs, and that Santa Claus didn't invent Christmas. Now, we have to contend with the nation's largest greeting card company redefining marriage for our children!

"Hallmark added the cards after California joined Massachusetts as the only U.S. states with legal gay marriage. A handful of other states have recognized same-sex unions." (from ARN article)

"Hallmark started offering 'coming out' cards last year, and the four designs of same-sex marriage cards are being gradually released this summer and will be widely available be next year." (from article)

"It's our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can." (Hallmark spokeswomen Sarah Gronberg Kolell)

A quick look at the Hallmark website presents a different image of the company than this decision represents. The values they claim as a company include: "Ethical and moral conduct at all times and in all our relationships," and "Corporate social responsibility to each community in which we operate."

So, if they are consistent with their own values than Hallmark believes that homosexuality, homosexual "marriage", and providing services and products that support these two activities are ethical, moral, and responsible behaviors!
Frankly, I'm disappointed. I'm not surprised, of course, but I am deeply saddened. Though I long for the day when Christ will return, I hate seeing our country continue its slide into the promotion of sin so easily. Was there no Christian voice available when this decision was being made? Is there nothing we can do to keep our country's moral compass from spinning completely away from God's value system? Is the Body of Christ really stuck in the stands, or can we get back in the game?
.
It isn't that I hate anybody. I really don't. In fact, a good friend of mine just "came out", and while I'm desperately disappointed with his decision, I still love him and want the best for him. It isn't the deceived people I'm frustrated with; it's the deceiver. It's the Father of Lies. (John 8:44)
.
So, I'll be buying my greeting cards from Hallmark's competitors, preferably the Christian ones. I'll post this blog. I'll pray. I'll try to remain faithful to the truth and speak truthfully in love. And, I'll reherse the words of the old song, "If the devil was a man I'd kick his tail!"


- Chris Tomlin Lyrics

Comments

Olivia said…
I believe it will be harder and harder to stand up for truth, but it never means we should give up. And our weapon should always be love not hatred, contempt, or sin for sin.

Popular posts from this blog

Caption Contest!

Gone

100 Days of Micah!